Like most municipalities, the City of Langford asks that its residents pitch in to keep our community as pristine and safe as possible.
Prepare your home and property for winter, rain and snow storms.
The City of Langford advises that home owners check culverts, gutters, downspouts and perimeter drains around their house to ensure everything is working properly, and free from debris.
The City makes every effort to keep roadside catch basins clear. Residents are requested to help by not depositing debris, leaves or garden trimmings in drainage ditches, and by preventing debris from accumulating against curbs, in gutters or catch basins.
Homeowner Drainage Checklist
- Clear your gutters and downspouts of all leaves and debris. Ensure that they remain clear through the winter.
- Have your drain system cleaned and repaired if necessary. Remember, drain tiles will plug over time with mud, silt or roots, and in some cases, may even fail due to age.
- Ensure that any surface that drains, such as those located at the bottom of driveways and stair wells, are clear of mud and debris and remain clear through the winter.
- Ensure that your driveway culvert is clear (that you can see daylight from one end to the other) and free from mud, debris and rocks through the winter.
- In an effort to be prepared for all circumstances, you may want to consult the Provincial Emergency Program.
Maintenance of culverts located underneath driveways are the responsibility of the individual home owner.
For flooding on Trans Canada Highway, Veterans Memorial Parkway and Sooke Road; contact Mainroad South Island Contracting Ltd at 250-391-7310.
During winter conditions, the City of Langford needs home owners' cooperation to clear snow and ice from any sidewalks fronting their property. This is common requirement with most municipalities in Canada and assures a safe walkway for you and your neighbours. This seasonal cooperation is required by City of Langford's Traffic Bylaw 33 [PDF - 183 KB].
In order to keep taxes low, the City of Langford encourages all residents to care for their boulevards by mowing and picking up litter. We do mow once per year and pickup litter every 30 days once notified by road inspections in these residential areas. We do maintain the boulevards in the commercial areas such as along Goldstream Avenue through the City's Road Maintenance Contract, currently held by Victoria Contracting and Municipal Maintenance Corporation.
Go to Top